Dear DFKDC parents and guardians,
I hope that you and your children have had a great start to the new school year. As you know, Dreams For Kids DC is always striving to better our programs for our participants and their families. We recently created the DFKDC Parent Advisory Committee to provide feedback and additional support for the organization. At our first meeting we discussed many things, including the issue of participant no-shows at clinics. We use the term “no-show” for participants who registered for a clinic and either contacted us to cancel on the day of the clinic or just do not show-up. Over the past 6 years, we have tracked an average 37% no-show rate at our clinics, which is very high. No-shows not only effect DFKDC’s budget; they also prevent other participants from attending and having life-changing experiences.
In order to maximize the number of participants at each event and reduce the rate and cost of no-shows, with the support of the Parent Advisory Committee, the DFKDC Board of Directors and I developed the Registration Deposit Policy. This policy will be implemented for all DFKDC clinics beginning January 2019.
REGISTRATION DEPOSIT POLICY: A $5 deposit for each participant registrant per clinic.
Policy Overview (Please see below for full policy details.)
1. The $5 deposit will be returned to the registrant if the participant attends the clinic. Registrants have the option to donate the $5 deposit to DFKDC or have it returned.
2. If the registered participant does not attend the clinic, the $5 deposit will be charged unless they adhere to the Cancellation Policy.
3. Cancellation Policy: The registrant must cancel their registration within 48 hours of the clinic. (i.e., If the clinic starts at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, the registrant must cancel by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday).
4. DFKDC will offer registration scholarships to ensure that the policy will not prevent anyone from participating in DFKDC clinics. Scholarship recipients must abide by the 48 hour cancellation policy. If a scholarship registrant is a no-show, they will not be eligible to receive a scholarship for future events.
Thank you for your time and attention to this email and our new policy. We hope you understand that these are measures will allow more participants to attend DFKDC clinics and help to reduce unnecessary expenses. This policy was developed by parents/guardians like you and our Board of Directors. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, feel free to contact me.
Thank you for your time and support of Dreams For Kids DC!
Glenda Fu Smith
Dreams For Kids DC
DFKDC REGISTRATION DEPOSIT POLICY
The following DFKDC Registration Deposit Policy will be implemented for all DFKDC clinics as of January 1, 2019. This policy is not designed to be a profit center or to be punitive – it is simply designed to cover the cost of and reduce the rate of no-show participants and maximize the number of participants at each event.
Building an inclusive community is a core value for DFKDC. To this end, a registration scholarship is available to ensure that the registration deposit policy will not prevent anyone from participating in DFKDC clinics.
1. A $5 deposit is required per participant registered for each clinic. (Parents and volunteers not included.)
2. The $5 deposit will be returned to the registrant if the participant attends the clinic.
3. On the registration form registrants will have the option to donate the $5 deposit to DFKDC or have it returned after attending the clinic.
4. If the registered participant does not attend the clinic, the $5 deposit will be charged. Those who adhere to the Cancellation Policy are exempt.
5. The registration form requires a credit card/debit card number to hold the $5 deposit. Within 7 days following the clinic, the card will either be charged $5 or the hold will be released.
6. If a registered participant is a no-show three times during one calendar year, they will not be allowed to register for any other clinics during that year.
7. Each year on January 1 the registration and scholarship policies will reset. All no shows will be cleared allowing those participants to register for clinics again and participants may reapply for scholarships in the new calendar year.
1. If a participant needs to cancel their registration, they must provide notice of at least 48 hours’ notice before the start of the clinic. (i.e., If the clinic starts at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, they must cancel by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday in order to not be charged $5 fee.)
2. Upon receiving cancellations, DFKDC will notify registrants on the clinic’s wait-list as soon as possible.
1. DFKDC will provide scholarships to those who cannot cover the $5 deposit. All scholarship recipients must abide by the cancellation policy.
2. If a scholarship registrant is a no-show (and does not contact DFKDC regarding their attendance), they will not be eligible to receive a scholarship for future events.
3. Participants may receive a registration scholarship for a maximum of 3 clinics per calendar year.
4. Participants can apply for the scholarship while registering for each clinic. To apply, please register using the “Scholarship Registration” form and not the general registration form, requiring the $5 deposit.
5. The deadline for scholarship registrations is 10 days prior to the clinic applied for. Registrants will be notified about their acceptance to attend the clinic 7 days prior to it .
6. The maximum number of registration scholarships offered is 20% of the total number of registrations for the clinic. (i.e., If the clinic is open to 100 registrations, 20 are for scholarship registrations.)
Thank you for your cooperation with our new policy. This policy was developed with input from the Dreams For Kids DC Parent Advisory Committee. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns by contacting Executive Director, Glenda Fu Smith, at GFu@dreamsforkids.org.